One of my favorite memories of summer as a kid was picking strawberries with my mom. This year I wanted to introduce this summer activity to our kids.
Ronin & Ripley both had so much fun at the strawberry patch. Ronin had fun running around the patch, but didn’t really want to get his hands dirty too much.
Ripley absolutely loved it; it was like she knew exactly what to do (pick strawberries off the bushes, put them in the basket and eat them). You can see from the pictures that she was having fun getting her hands messy.
We love muffins as our house for breakfast, so the next day I decided to make my favorite strawberry muffin recipe. These muffins have a great combination of fresh and sweet flavors. It’s like eating strawberry shortcake for breakfast!
Strawberry Muffins w/Strawberry Glaze
(Makes 12 standard muffins)
- 1/4 cup canola oil
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1 egg
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 cup white sugar
- 1 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup chopped strawberries (fresh or frozen)
- If using frozen strawberries, thaw slightly, then chop
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F, Oil a 12 cup muffin tin, or use paper liners
- In a small bowl, combine oil, milk & egg. Beat lightly.
- In a large bowl, mix flour, salt, baking powder & sugar. Toss in chopped strawberries and stir to coat with flour. Pour in milk mixture and stir together.
- Fill muffin cups evenly with mixture. Bake at 375 degrees F for 14 minutes, or until tops bounce back from the touch. Cool 10 minutes and remove from pan.
- 1 1/2 cups powdered sugar
- 2 Tablespoons milk
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla
- Juice from 1 strawberry
- In a small bowl, combine powdered sugar, milk & vanilla. Mix well.
- Place 1 large strawberry in a lime/lemon juicer and save the juice
- Add strawberry juice to glaze and mix well
- Place glaze in a cake decorator bag and cut the end of the bag so there is a small hole
- Drizzle over cooled muffins
I hope you enjoy these strawberry muffins as much as we do. They are delicious!!! What are your favorite summer memories and recipes? Thanks for stopping by, talk to you again soon!